Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Please Note: This position is contingent upon award and USAID approval with an anticipated start date of late 2022/early 2023.
Global Communities works at the intersection of humanitarian assistance, sustainable development, and financial inclusion to save lives, advance equity, and secure strong futures. We support communities at the forefront of their own development in more than 35 countries, partnering with local leaders, governments, civil society, and the private sector to achieve a shared vision of a more just, prosperous, and equitable global community. We work with government, non-government, private sector, and community stakeholders to promote transparency, foster accountability, and access the channels they need to make their voices heard, promote change, and realize their full potential.
Global Communities is seeking a full-time Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Senior Specialist to lead and oversee efforts aimed at integrating the principles of gender equality and social inclusion across all components of the anticipated Climate Resilient WASH (CR WASH) Project in Ethiopia. Given the demographic context of the project, this individual will also oversee the inclusion of positive youth development principles as appropriate and in support of USAID’s efforts to mainstream youth in development. This five-year $30-40M program will accelerate the expansion and sustainability of climate-resilient water services and the adoption of key hygiene and sanitation practices in targeted pastoralist areas in Somali, Oromia, SNNPR, and Afar. The Activity will work to fulfill this purpose through four complementary intermediate results: 1) Professionalize and expand climate-resilient water services; 2) Increase adoption of key hygiene behaviors, including menstrual health and hygiene (MHH), and ending open defecation; 3) Improve gender power dynamics; and 4) Strengthen the enabling environment for climate-resilient water and sanitation services.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
The GESI Specialist will provide strategic guidance and technical leadership to all project teams and key partners to ensure that all project activities and approaches are designed and implemented in a gender-responsive and inclusive manner, accounting for the specific needs and priorities of women, youth, and underserved groups, especially (PWD).
Technical and Strategic Leadership
- Work with the project’s senior management team to develop strong commitment to the principles of diversity, equality, and inclusion across all project components and ensure that the project reflects and is responsive to the priorities, perspectives, and leadership of Pastoralist
- Ensure that all project components are grounded in global GESI best practices and compliant with relevant USAID policies and requirements
- Oversee a gender and inclusion analysis and ensure that its findings shape all aspects of project design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL)
- Lead the development of tailored tools and processes to ensure that a gender and inclusion lens is integrated across all project components
- Develop and monitor the implementation of a gender and inclusion action plan supported and adhered to by all partners in the consortium as well as all areas of operations and programming
- Co-design and support tailored, gender-specific interventions that challenge unequal gender norms and power dynamics; support women’s access to services, facilities, and activities; increase women’s economic opportunities; and encourage women and youth to take up decision-making and leadership roles
- Work with project teams to identify and mitigate potential unintended consequences of programming, including the risks of gender-based discrimination and violence
Capacity Strengthening & Standard-setting
- Work with the project’s senior management team to ensure diversity and gender balance in staffing, stakeholder engagement, and selection of project participants
- Design, facilitate, and coordinate staff training opportunities on gender integration, gender-based violence prevention, social inclusion, youth in development, and related topics
- Liaise with the Safeguarding Director to deliver a safeguarding training for staff and partners (as appropriate)
- Promote exchange of information, ideas and lessons learned; share existing tools, frameworks, and resources to strengthen staff and implementing partners’ capacity
- Participate in Global Communities’ gender, youth, and inclusion working groups/ communities of practice to contribute to and learn from the organization’s global best practices and standard setting
Reporting and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)
- Review program documentation for gender sensitivity and inclusivity (including research design, MEL tools, assessments, annual work plans, programmatic reports, and communication materials)
- Work with the MEL team to identify appropriate GESI indicators and measurement methods to monitor and evaluate program outcomes related to gender equality, positive youth development, and inclusion of underserved groups, including people with disabilities
- Guide analysis of project data from a gender and inclusion lens; devise strategies to address issues emerging from the analysis
Strategic Partnerships and Communications
- Build strong partnerships with local and national gender, youth, and disability stakeholders (experts, practitioners, organizations, and government entities)
- Advise on gender-sensitive and inclusive project communication and outreach efforts
- Speak on behalf of the project on gender, diversity, social inclusion, and youth issues in external working groups
- Develop thought leadership and marketing materials that highlight the program’s gender equality, diversity, and social inclusion approaches and lessons learnt
Education and Experience
- Strong commitment to feminist values, human rights, diversity, and inclusion
- Master’s degree in gender studies, development, international relations, public health, or a relevant social science discipline preferred; bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 10 years of experience in international development
- Minimum 5 years of experience in gender-focused programming
- People and partnership management experience
- Experience designing or managing WASH, climate-related, and/or health programming a strong asset; understanding of gender-transformative approaches to these sectors
- Experience in mentoring and training on gender, diversity and/or social inclusion issues
- Experience collaborating with civil society groups, government entities, and high-ranking officials
- Experience working with USAID and/or other large international donors highly desirable
Knowledge and Skills
- Deep knowledge of best practices on gender integration; familiarity with relevant USAID policies and requirements a strong asset, including USAID’s Youth in Development Policy and principles of positive youth development
- Demonstrated ability to lead gender analyses and gender strategy development on behalf of organizations and/or complex projects
- Demonstrated ability to create gender tools, methodologies, and processes
- Working knowledge of social inclusion, gender-based violence, male engagement, and safeguarding concepts
- Strong problem-solving, leadership, and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to work well with others and facilitate collaboration and strategic thinking among team members and project stakeholders
- Ability to operate in a wide range of cultural and institutional contexts
- Excellent writing, analytical, and communication skills
- Full professional proficiency in spoken and written English, in addition to local spoken language
- Ability to travel locally frequently
In addition to your CV/resume, we are requesting that all applicants submit a cover letter with their application.
Global Communities positively welcomes and seeks applications from all sections of society. We are committed to a work environment that respects the dignity and worth of everyone and offers equal opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
How to apply
To apply for this job please visit internationalcareers-globalcommunities.icims.com.