CARE Ethiopia is seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of SENIOR CAPACITY BUILDING ADVISOR in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
I. JOB SUMMARY
The purpose of the Senior Capacity Building Advisor is to serves both as project manager and as coach/follow-up for the CARE and partner staff in terms of Senior Capacity Building Advisor under the “She Thrives” project. As manager of the project the incumbent is responsible for overall planning, preparing budget, ensuring quality implementation and coordination of the project. S/he will also coordinate the Senior Capacity Building Advisor activities amongst CARE Ethiopia project staffs, CARE Ethiopia projects, partners and government institutions to make them better responsive to gender transformative child labor reduction programs. To this effect, the incumbent directs and coordinates the capacity need assessment, development of Senior Capacity Building Advisor strategies and plan and provides technical support to the implementation team. S/he works in close partnership with thematic leaders and specialists, taskforce members, community groups as necessary, and other partners to identify Senior Capacity Building Advisor needs and plays lead role in developing and executing Senior Capacity Building Advisor activities to targeted community, civil society and government institutions; and contributes to builds CARE Ethiopia’s capacity to gender transformative programming. S/he also participates and contributes in the project technical and management meetings and evaluation/assessment activities, research and documentation. Likewise, the incumbent also works with project staff and partners to ensure common approaches and best practices are applied in all components of the project.
This position will be based at CARE HO at Addis Ababa and directly be reporting to the program coordinator, She Thrives project.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Job Responsibility #1: Project Planning, Managing and Coordination (40% of time):
- Facilitating development, management, and implementation of skills training opportunities for vulnerable women and girls and leading in individualized training plans, skills assessments, life-skills, curriculum development, training management, and training monitoring and information systems for identified beneficiaries.
- Perform training needs assessments (including developing training programs, evaluating training, and evaluating impact of training on skills acquisition and employability), and work with project partners to develop tools and mechanisms to promote the creation of skills training.
- Ensuring proper Senior Capacity Building Advisor planning and budgeting, guide implementation of activities and monitor the same.
- Ensure reporting both narrative and financial in line with the IPIA.
- Ensure M&E systems are developed and implemented (impact data gathered, analyzed, used for advocacy and reporting)
- In coordination with CARE staff participate in various processes
- In terms of actual gender mainstreaming, Senior Capacity Building Advisor activities (Women´s leadership, Psychosocial, Engaging Men and Boys)
- In terms of providing M&E data to the program on their perception of increased capacities
- Ensures that learning products are developed in coordination with relevant cross-country thematic advisors, also develops them his/herself
- Contracting, contract management with consultants, operative aspects of activities, etc.
- Ensure coordination with existing projects and mainstreaming, since this should not be a stand-alone program.
Job Responsibility #2: Learning, sharing, documentation and networking (30% of time):
- Collect, document and share lessons/results of the implementation of Senior Capacity Building Advisor processes;
- Ensure that the lessons documented from the project are disseminated within CARE, partners’ structure and other relevant bodies;
- Organize and facilitate the knowledge sharing forums on capacity building;
- Contribute to the preparation of communication products on Senior Capacity Building Advisor interventions and impacts;
- Keep up to date with best practices and knowledge and ensure those knowledge/learning are integrated in the ongoing programme implementation;
- Promote synergies and linkage between the she thrives project and on-going projects in CARE Ethiopia, sub granites, government and civil society programmes on issues related to capacity and institution building for gender equality and justice.
- Establish and maintain productive relationships with all partners at all levels;
- Work with various units, internally and external to integrate and scale up good practices;
Job Responsibility #3: Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting (20% of time):
- Contribute to the development/improvement of monitoring and evaluation as well as documentation and sharing of lessons across projects and/with other partners;
- Work with monitoring and evaluation staff to establish and ensure a functional monitoring and evaluation system
- Develop and execution the M&E plan on Senior Capacity Building Advisor activities;
- In collaboration with the M&E team, promote a system that enhances quality engagement of beneficiaries in M&E exercises;
- Produce period monitoring and evaluation and briefing reports;
- Maintain up to date M&E data and Senior Capacity Building Advisor related information;
- Track the effectiveness of Capacity Building Advisor interventions;
- Actively participate in the project monitoring, evaluation and assessment exercises
- Assist in the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation functions,
Job Responsibility #4: Coordination and Harmonization (10% of time):
- Contribute to transparent and participatory management and decision making;
- Promote gender equality and justice within the project and organizational framework;
- Coach implementing partners to build their technical and function capacity in capacity building;
- Actively participate and support programmatic coordination and synergy,
- Contribute to healthy work environment
- Promote transparent and accountable practices;
- Participate in project management meeting and be a team player and team builder,
- Represent she thrives project/CARE and contribute on Senior Capacity Building Advisor discussions and forums at different levels,
- Exhibit model behaviors consistent with principles, values, vision and mission of the organization;
III. PROBLEM SOLVING (Thinking Environment)
- All the three levels of problem solving apply to this position. But category numbers two and three are most applicable to this position because the Senior Capacity Building Advisor Coordinator must use interpolative skills to pick and choose the right strategy to address a given problem and also has to deal with variable situations, which need analysis, problem definition and development of alternative solutions.
IV GENDER EQUALITY
- Understanding and demonstrated commitment to the importance of gender, youth and social inclusion issues.
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of Gender Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and PSEAH (safeguarding), as evidenced in previous positions / programming
IIV QUALIFICATIONS (KNOW HOW)
- B.A. Degree in Social Sciences, sociology, social anthropology, Management, governance, Development Studies, or related.
- M.A. in Social work, Development studies, Business management, governance, M&E, sociology, or related field
- 5 years of relevant experience with the first degree and 4 years of relevant experience plus post graduate degree in training design and facilitation, and capacity building.
- At least 1 year of management experience.
- NGO experience is a plus.
- Some background in the key result areas of the program design, e.g. Child labor, gender transformative programming, organizational capacity development, women’s empowerment, psychosocial support, life skill trainings, community saving programs, livelihood:
- Ability to think strategically about capacity and institutional building as a process, about strategic development of training materials, curriculums with government offices and SBCC materials
- Knowledge on preparation of M&E and learning, measurement.
- proven facilitation skills to ensure quality reflection and analysis in workshops
C. TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Computer skills (Word processing, database management); data analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English Language;
- Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality, sensitivity to HIV/AIDS, participatory approach and sustainable development.
- Experience in gender transformative programming
- Capacity and institution building;
- Strategic and operational planning experience;
- Conflict management;
- Training materials development;
- Ability to create enabling environments and organizational cultures that promote learning
- Ability to use of creative knowledge support products, for example photo, videos, media, and IT.
- Respect, accountability, courage, excellence, building partnership, building commitment, contributing to team success, innovation, pro-active problem solving, analytical ability.
V CONTACTS/KEY RELATIONSHIPS
- The Senior Capacity Building Advisor Coordinator is expected to establish and maintain good relations with, counterpart GOs and NGOs. S/he will also closely work with the Program Coordinators, other CARE LDM staff, Project Managers, Framework program COs and FSF plus project staff and others.
VI WORKING CONDITIONS AND LEVEL OF TRAVEL REQUIRED
- This position is located in Ethiopia and requires 30% of travel to partners and operational areas.
How to Apply
If you are interested to be part of our dynamic team, exciting work environment and contribute to CARE Ethiopia’s mission and vision, please send your CV (not more than 3 pages) and cover letter (not more than one page) through https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=CAREUSA&cws=52&rid=6625
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Passionate and dedicated candidates who meet the requirement are strongly encouraged to apply, especially women!
CARE seeks to improve the lives of the most marginalized, particularly women and girls. Our diversity is our strength. We encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply.
CARE Ethiopia is committed to preventing all unwanted behavior at work. This includes sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, and child abuse. We expect everyone who works for us to share this commitment by understanding and working within the CARE Safeguarding Policy and related framework. CARE Ethiopia has a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a vulnerable adult or child by any of our staff, representatives, or partners.
CARE Ethiopia reserves the right to seek information from job applicants’ current and/or previous employers about incidents of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment the applicant may have been found guilty to have committed or about which an investigation was in the process of being carried out at the time of the termination of the applicant’s employment with that employer.
By submitting the application, the job applicant confirms that s/he has no objection to CARE Ethiopia requesting the information specified above. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks