Organisation of Educational Cooperation
The OEC: The Organization of Educational Cooperation (OEC) is an international intergovernmental organisation, founded in January 2020 by countries from across the Global South, to “contribute to the equitable, just, and prosperous social transformation of societies by promoting balanced and inclusive education, in order to attain the fundamental rights to liberty, justice, dignity, sustainability, social cohesion, and material and immaterial security for the peoples of the world”.
Overall purpose of the role:
Operating under the authority of the Secretary-General and under the direct supervision of the Secretary-General for External Relations and International Cooperation ERIC, the Chief of Multilateral Cooperation / TPED Coordination is charged with developing and maintaining the primary multilateral relationships of the OEC. He or she is also charged with contributing to the Department’s role in coordinating and streamlining OEC’s engagement with key multilateral organisations and institutions.
The Chief also leads, supports, facilitates and coordinates deepening of existing and fostering new relations and implementation of engagement strategies with multilateral actors, including global and regional international intergovernmental organizations. The Chief also supports the Under-Secretary-General for ERIC to host and manage the Office of Transregional Partnership in Education for Development (TPED).
This position provides the unique opportunity of joining the team of a new international organisation, contributing to its lasting construction and influencing its future trajectory.
The main functions of the Chief of Multilateral Cooperation / TPED Coordination are but not limited to the following responsibilities below.
- Provide advice and analysis on current policies as well as on the development of policies and strategies for relations with key multilateral organizations relevant to OEC’s mandate.
- Organize and manage TPED coordination meetings of the member organisations chaired by the Secretary-General.
- Advice and brief OEC senior leadership as required on the OEC’s engagement and collaboration with multilateral institutions.
- Follow-up on International Intergovernmental activities directly and/or with representative offices in Addis Ababa.
- Maintain high-level key contacts with Officials of TPED and develop the necessary coordination, as requested.
- Plan and oversee the management of activities undertaken by the Section.
- Plan and coordinate activities with other multilateral organizations.
- Support the Secretary-General’s policies towards engagement with the key stakeholders and develop a working-plan for the common activities.
- Draft speeches, briefing notes and talking points for the Secretary General and/ or the Under Secretary- General when required.
- Represent the Department at internal and external meetings and conferences as needed.
- Provide and coordinate inputs for policy papers and draft reports.
- Carry out such supervisory tasks as are necessary for the efficient functioning of the Section.
- Contribute to the identification of solutions to the political, social, educational and economic issues that confront OEC in achieving its vision.
- Solve problems under complex circumstances.
- Any other duty as assigned by the Secretary General / USG ERIC.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomatic and cross-cultural communication skills with a proven track record.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Capable of working under pressure and fully committed to given tasks before deadlines.
- Strong methodical and strategic thinking skills and ability to develop long-term strategies.
- Ability to operate sensitively and effectively in a multicultural environment and deal with cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Ability to withstand and work effectively in stressful situations.
- Understanding of cultural differences and ability to communicate effectively in/with international teams
- At least 10 years of working experience in International relations, diplomacy or other related fields.
- At least 8 years of work experience in a management role within an international and/or regional organization.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree (or higher) in international relations or related fields.
- English – Fluent
- Knowledge of one or more of the other official languages of the OEC (French, Arabic, Spanish) is a distinct advantage.
- Under- Secretary General of Sections.
- All employees of OEC.
- External Stakeholders:
- Diplomatic missions.
- Ministries of Foreign Affairs.
- Diplomatic missions.
- Ministries of Foreign Affairs.
- Employment category: T4
- Reporting to: Under-Secretary-General for ERIC
- Direct reports or Collaborate: The position Collaborates with the office of the OSG, ERIC department, relevant OEC stakeholders, and other OEC departments to ensure alignment and coordination of OEC programs and projects.
How to apply
Qualified & Interested candidate can apply for this position by sending an email your resume and cover letter to hre(at)oec-oce.org with the subject line “Job Title”.
This is a full-time position based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia that welcomes applicants from any country.
- We especially encourage applications from Latin America and Asia Pacific.
- We also strongly support female candidates and value diversity and inclusion.
- We will review applications as they are received until we fill the position.