Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Senior Project Officer Response & Recovery in Ethiopia.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding. For nearly 60 years, CRS has taken the lead in responding to natural and man-made disasters affecting Ethiopia’s most vulnerable communities. Moving beyond emergency response, CRS’ disaster mitigation and recovery projects in drought and flood-prone areas have rebuilt individual and community assets through non-food aid in the form of agriculture, livestock, health, nutrition, and water and sanitation assistance. CRS’s humanitarian work in Ethiopia also provides livelihoods support to farmers and entrepreneurs, promotes equality and inclusion, and mitigates the impact of COVID-19.
As part of CRS family, you will join the more than 5000 strong and vibrant individuals working globally to accomplish the mission of CRS. CRS/Ethiopia invites you, the qualified candidate, to apply for the following position.
Job Title: Senior Project Officer Response & Recovery
Required number: One
Employment Term: Fixed term (i.e., Up to August 2023)
Country/Location: CRS Ethiopia/Addis Ababa
As a lead for the Community Recovery and Resilience project team, you will facilitate the achievement of project objectives through coordinating and reporting on all project activities and providing technical guidance and advice to staff and implementing partner(s) advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work serving the poor and vulnerable. Your coordination and relationship management skills will ensure that the project for which you are responsible applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to those we serve.
- Organize and lead the implementation of all assigned project activities as outlined in the detailed implementation plan in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Ensure learning properly accompanies project activities throughout the project cycle. Support accountability through coordinating project evaluation activities and guiding partners in their efforts to reflect on project experiences. Analyze implementation challenges and report any inconsistencies and/or gaps to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules.
- Coordinate and oversee working relationships with all local project stakeholders and serve as the liaison between them and the project team to mobilize local actors and promote project activities and impact.
- Coordinate and lead the overall project start up, implementation, monitoring, evaluation reporting and phase out strategy for the assigned projects in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Ensure beneficiary participation, accountability, and protection in designing and implementing project interventions.
- Coordinate within CRS sector teams on technical support provision to implementing partners. Coordinate with CRS sector team and implementing partners in developing project data collection and reporting formats.
- Coordinate with CRS sector team and implementing partners and participate in doing different project related lead assessments and studies.
- Conduct regular field visits and providing necessary technical support to implementing partner(s).
- Collate project data, analyze and write monthly project progress update and quarterly and annual reports per established reporting schedule.
- Support program manager in managing project budget. Reviews advance requests and liquidation documents from partners for accuracy and ascertain that project expenses are in line with approved budget line items and reflects implementation plan. Submit project liquidation and advance request documents to Finance for further processing and follow up advances and liquidation are processed. Review and prepares quarterly cash forecasts to meet spending needs of project. Ensures all financial resources managed as per donor and CRS regulations guidelines.
- Assist in establishing, strengthening and maintaining partnership with implementing partners, government, UN agencies, private sector and NGOs
- Monitor projects progresses through regular field visits, reports and discussion with partners and beneficiaries.
- Contribute to the development and documentation of best practices and their dissemination to a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Ensure that effective M&E and accountability mechanisms are in place and that relevant information, statistics and analysis are provided in a timely way for donor reports, situation reports, project proposals, case studies and communications.
- Collect information on staff capacity needs and technical assistance needs of partner organizations, assist partners in conducting and facilitating trainings, and monitor capacity building and technical support activities to ensure effective impact.
- Develop training modules on IPM, irrigation agronomy and other improved crop production technologies to cover the specials needs of farmers and field workers and carry out in-house refresher courses for farmers and the field agents.
- Complete project documentation for assigned activities. Assist with identifying information for case studies and reports on promising practices.
- Supervise and perform ad-hoc inspections of various processes and resources at project sites to ensure timely project activities implementation and adherence to established process standards and procedures. Ensure proper tracking of resource use for project activities through periodic budget reviews and follow-up with and assistance to implementing partner.
- Support and coordinate capacity building and technical support activities to ensure assigned project activities are implemented per project guidelines and standards.
- Coordinate provision of any logistical and administrative support to staff and partners.
- Ensure project documentation for assigned activities is complete with all required documents and is filed per agency and donor requirements. Assist with preparation of trends analysis reports and documentation of case studies and promising practices
- Performs other related tasks given by line manager
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- MSc/MA Degree in agriculture, rural development, environmental science, and related field of study
- Minimum of 2-3 years of work experience in project support, ideally in the field of agriculture, rural development, environmental science and for an NGO.
- Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data and report writing
- Experience in managing project budget. Strong financial skills including budget development and management
- Ability to write reports and effectively present information
- Experience working with partners, participatory action planning and community engagement.
- Staff supervision experience is a plus.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Analysis and problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment
- Good relationship management skills and ability to work closely with local partners
- Proactive, results and objective oriented, service-oriented with excellent planning, management & coordination skill
- Attention to details, accuracy, and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Excellent writing skills in English
- Excellent communication skill and with good team player and facilitation skills
Required/Desired Foreign Language: Very good in English
Travel Required (include percentage of required travel, if applicable): Frequent travel to project implementation sites.
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: PM, Agriculture and Livelihood
Internal: DHOP, Operation (HR, finance, admin, logistics), DCOPs, other PMs, MEAL PM, WASH, Health and Nutrition, SILC sectors
External: Partners, Ministry of Agriculture, Regional Bureau of Agriculture, other relevant stakeholders
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
Competencies Relevant for the Specific Position (include those that are applicable):
- Will be included upon finalization of the Competency-Based Management project
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
How to Apply
You will be contacted only if selected for written exam/interview. Phone solicitations will not be accepted. These job opportunities are open to Ethiopian nationals only.
CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking.
** Qualified women are highly encouraged to apply**
To apply for this job please visit form.jotform.com.