The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Administration Officer in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Job title: Administration Officer (open to internal candidates only)
Summary Of Key Functions
- Management of UNOPS premises
- Management of administrative services and supervision of administrative team
- Support to management on security-related issues
- Assets Ensure effective control of asset management for recording and updating
- Office HSSE Management
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Management of UNOPS premises
- Overall management of office premises; follow-up with building owner regarding contractual arrangement/negotiation of office lease renewal in consultation with the Regional Office/Country Office/Multi Country Office management team.
- Promotion of energy-saving and implementation of green office policy.
- Scheduling and monitoring of maintenance/repair/washing/painting work of the office premises and environment. Supervision of the cleaning and maintenance team to ensure effective and efficient services be provided
- Monitoring and ensuring the timeliness and quality of administrative tasks (e.g. cleaning and security guard service) on daily basis.
Management of administrative services and supervision of administrative team
- Monitoring and analysis of administrative services and recommendations for changes in policies, systems and procedures to ensure services are aligned with changing business needs and objectives
- Ensuring UNOPS administrative resources are fully and properly accounted for and that internal control systems are adequate and functioning.
- Assessment of expenditure in administration (office premises, assets, travel, etc.) for previous years; estimate of new requirements and preparation of budget plans for designated areas of work.
- Collaboration in the administration of common premises to ensure efficiency, cost- effectiveness and timeliness of operations and services.
- Negotiation of contracts with vendors and service providers to ensure cost-effective services and of quality and timely service.
- Preparation and monitoring of the team work-plans. Supervision and guidance to the staff in the administrative team, including the drivers’ team, handyman and administration personnel, for satisfactory performance and client-oriented services.
- Management of office vehicles and transportation service to ensure punctual transportation service is provided to the staff, UNOPS visitors and high officials on mission.
- Identify dependable and suitable local suppliers for spare parts and workshops for vehicle maintenance.
- Supervision of the recording (inventory), disposal and transfer of office assets for the office; evaluation, on a regular basis, of the inventory status and transactions in the database, reporting anomalies and discrepancies for timely action.
- Efficient and effective cooperation among different sub-teams in terms of achieving results.
- Administrative advice and support to international staff and consultants (e.g. assist international staff and consultants in finding suitable housing according to their needs within a short time frame).
- Drafting of correspondence and internal procedural directives relating to administrative matters
- Administrative support to key events (e.g. conferences, VIP visits, UN Day, etc.) on a timely and quality basis.
Support to management on security-related issues
- Analysis and identification of potential issues related to security and proposal of strategies and options to management for review.
- Guidance and supervision to the security guards for safeguarding the staff and premises
- Preparation of quarterly Security Incident Reports.
- Update of security briefing note and briefing of staff and UNOPS visitors on security-related matters.
- UNOPS Staff List (including dependents) updated on a timely basis.
Office HSSE Management
- Maintain up-to-date instructions and training for personnel on implementation of the Health and Safety Instruments, including required precautions, comprehensive listing of emergency supplies, and guidance on action taken during emergencies.
- Ensure that appropriate HSSE mitigation measures are proposed and met;
- Maintain up-to-date instructions and training for personnel on implementation of the health and Safety Instruments, including required precautions, comprehensive listing of emergency supplies, and guidance on action taken during emergencies, including natural disasters and political crises
Ensure effective control of asset management for recording and updating
- As ETMC focal person for asset management, ensure report and monitoring sheet with new acquisition for new items on a monthly basis, and that all project assets and transactional assets of the ETMC are properly tagged and accounted for in accordance with asset management policies of UNOPS and respective donor/s.
- Ensure project asset management under the ETMC are in compliance with the UNOPS Financial Regulation and Rules, Organizational Directives, and Administrative Instructions.
- Collect the reports of the ETMC; Regularly review the asset reports and initiate corrective action for necessary adjustments.
- In consultation with the HoSS, ensure that the periodic physical verification assets is well prepared and approved
- Provide training for the country office asset focal points and project teams in asset management processes to ensure capacity building.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on administrative-related topics.
- Briefing/debriefing of staff members on issues relating to area of work
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in administration.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the office administration management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Strategic approach to administration management, effective and efficient administrative support, and timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and overall effective delivery of UNOPS programmes and projects.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or Management or equivalent;
- A Technical Diploma coupled with additional atleast four (4) years relevant experience may substitute for the requirement for a Bachelor’s Degree.
- A Technical Diploma with four (4) years relevant experience in administrative support, two (2) years in office management, two (2) years in conferences and events administration is required.
- A Bachelor Degree with two (2) years relevant experience is an added advantage.
- Experience in asset management and vehicles/fleet management is an added advantage.
- Fluency in written and oral English and the language of the duty station (Amharic) is required.
- Knowledge of another UN working language is desirable.
How to Apply
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.