Danish Red Cross
In line with the Danish Red Cross (DRC) strategic priority to increase learning and accountability for the people and communities we work with, we have an exciting opportunity for a Programme, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (PMEAL) Advisor, based at DRC Regional Office (RO) in Addis Ababa. The position is part of the DRC global PMEAL team with a specific focus on DRC’s bilateral engagements with Red Cross and Red Crescent (RCRC) Societies in Africa.
Your future position
In the Africa Region, DRC has 9 main country programmes, Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso, Somalia, Kenya, Sudan, South Sudan, Ethiopia and Malawi. The strategic priorities for the region are non-communicable diseases, including mental health, anticipatory action, inclusion and migration as well as youth action, branch development, innovative financing and community engagement and accountability (CEA).
The PMEAL Advisor will report directly to the Head of Region (HoR) with a strong technical reference line to the PMEAL Team Coordinator in the Humanitarian Policy & Analysis (P&A) Unit. The duty station for the position is the DRC RO in Addis Ababa, with up to one-third of the time spent in other programme countries, plus visits to headquarters to ensure close coordination of the delegate’s work with the PMEAL team in P&A Unit, which leads development and/or improvement of the systems, processes and practices that ensure adherence to internal standards and sector standards such as the Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS), and donor requirements including developing and communicating an evidence base for reporting results.
The PMEAL Advisor will work as an integral member of the regional Africa team, in close cooperation with Country Managers in Africa, and with the overall goal of creating a culture of assessment, evidence-based programming and improved outcome documentation across the whole of DRC.
Your tasks will include:
- Providing support to Country Offices (CO) with coordinating and implementing assessments to inform project formulation and strategic direction of programming.
- Build capacity of Country Teams to apply and rollout Project Management Standards across the project management cycle, including assessments, project logical frameworks, implementation plans, M&E plans, counting methodology, monitoring practices etc.
- Provide technical support to the entire data process from methodology to collection and use
- Provide technical support on methodologies for situation, activity and results monitoring including documenting change in complex projects
- Support DRC Country Team with identifying and applying learning in their day-to-day ways of working
- Support and build the capacity of our National Society partners in PMEAL and CEA, contributing to their organisational development as key national humanitarian organisations
- Coordinate closely with other RCRC partners on PMEAL/PMER to ensure greater impact of interventions
- Oversee and provide dedicated support to country teams in setting up and strengthening beneficiary accountability systems in line with RCRC guidelines on CEA.
The ideal candidate has:
- Master’s degree or equivalent, in international cooperation, development, or a related topic.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in project cycle management, in the field in development or humanitarian contexts.
- Proven experience in working with facilitating and building capacity within areas of project cycle management processes, including project design and planning, monitoring, and review & evaluation.
- Solid experience with PMEAL and CEA particularly in a partnership context is strongly recommended.
- An excellent command of English, spoken and written. Proficiency in French is a strong advantage.
- Solid collaboration and coordination skills.
- Able to travel within the region, including to fragile and insecure contexts, up to 25% of work time.
Your future workplace
When you become a part of the Red Cross movement, you become a part of the world’s largest humanitarian organization with 17 million volunteers in 191 countries. We save lives every day, and we equip people with the tools they need to get through crises and disasters. We help people on both sides of a conflict and in the remotest corners of the world, regardless of their religion, race or political views.
In the DRC’s International Department, we support vulnerable people in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East and have an annual turnover of more than DKK 750 million.
The ideal starting date is no later than December 1, 2022, and the length of the contract is 24 months with the possibility of extension. The salary including all allowances and pension payment will be between DKK 43,800 – 46,200 per month, depending on qualifications and experience. An individual apartment in Addis Ababa is provided, free of charge.
For more information about the position please read the job describtion.
How to apply
If you have questions about the position, please write to Africa Head of Region, Nelima Lassen, at email@example.com or Information Management Advisor, Emil Brøgger, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is 28 September 2022. Interviews and a written test are expected to take place during the following 2 weeks.
You can apply the job via our website.