United Nations Development Programme is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post Reporting Officer – (IPSA9)in AA, Ethiopia
- Job Title: Reporting Officer – (IPSA9)
- Organization: UNDP – United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Grade: Junior level – IPSA-9, International Personnel Services Agreement
- Occupational Groups:
- Communication and Public Information
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Documentation and Information Management
- Closing Date: 2023-09-01
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP through the Regional Programme promotes political participation and leadership among women; their economic empowerment; and their engagement in peace and security. UNDP works to advance gender equality and empower women as agents of change and leaders in the development processes that shape their lives towards a more inclusive, sustainable, and resilient world. Gender equality and women’s empowerment is integrated in the organization’s work in promoting sustainable development pathways, inclusive and effective governance systems and resilience building. UNDP’s framework for engagement is drawn from the four interconnected pathways identified in the Africa Human Development Report on accelerating gender equality and women’s empowerment in Africa: a) supporting implementation of existing legal reforms for improved gender equality; b) engaging women in decision-making at all levels, including in conflict resolution and peace consolidation; c) eliminating discriminatory social institutions that block women’s health and education; and d) providing equitable access to economic, financial and natural resources.
The 2022-25 Strategic Offer for Africa, focusing on six impact areas (structural economic transformation, natural resource governance, climate change, affordable and sustainable energy, women and youth empowerment, and peace and security) prioritizes the region’s economic and developmental transformation. Aligned with these overarching priorities, the Regional Programme for Africa (2022-25) is a flagship UNDP programme that contributes to regional development by addressing challenges facing Africa and amplifying opportunities related to the priorities and aspirations defined by the African Union and other regional entities.
UNDP Regional Service center for Africa through the Regional Programme seek to recruit Reporting Officer to support in implementation of the regional programme in areas of reporting, data analysis and strategic corporate communication. He/she will work under the direct supervision of the Regional Programme Coordinator, and works closely with the three hubs in Africa, HQ, relevant thematic teams and external/internal partners to enhance visibility and impact communication of the regional programme through research and development of high level inputs for briefing notes, analysis, speeches, presentations and papers.
Key Duties and Accountabilities
1. Strategic Communication:
- Draft and prepare high-level briefs, speeches, presentations in coordination with other teams throughout RSCA, regional hubs and RBA;
- Provide clear and timely guidance to facilitate preparation of briefs and speeches for specific audience;
- Review speeches, concept notes, reports, briefs, background papers, etc. for substantive accuracy, completeness, strategic messaging, in liaison with the relevant thematic teams, the hubs, RBA and HQ units, as needed;
- Develop analysis materials, internal written communications, periodic reports relating to the Regional Programme priority areas;
- Develop and design internal and external strategies for preparation of high-level periodic briefing notes, article write-ups to be utilized for outreach and advocacy for the regional programme.
- Prepare analytical reviews and systematically capture lessons learnt from the Regional Programme and various consultations and meetings;
- Research, analyze and document findings from related materials and meetings with relevant stakeholders;
- Assist in developing project reports and other communication materials for key stakeholders;
- Review and analyze relevant regional programme documents and submissions for the approval or clearance of the Regional Programme Coordinator and Director, as needed to ensure alignment with corporate guidance and standards as well as to ensure quality and comprehensiveness of inputs;
- Support with development of analytical reports combining econometric modelling with latest data science methods;
- Use data to investigate and help resolve analytical issues, clean and prune data;
- Provide inputs to the elaboration of narrative / annual reports focusing on results, output, and outcomes;
- Identify best practices and lessons learned to guide programme improvement and strategy planning;
- Support the Regional Programme Coordinator to collect and analyze information, including qualitative data, on partners, projects and initiatives, and prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for collaboration;
- Produce reports and tools using primary data collected into ongoing and future programming of the Regional Programme;
- Coordinate with projects and teams on qualitative data collection for reporting;
- Explore large volumes of data (structured and unstructured) from a variety of sources to identify key trends / recommendations.
- Provide concise data reports and clear data visualizations for management and stakeholders.
3.Data Research, Management and Analysis
- Mine data from primary and secondary sources; pinpoint trends, correlations and patterns in complex data sets;
- Research UNDP and external data sources and technology relevant to the regional programme and compile information to support RP programme and project implementation;
- Undertake targeted data research and data collection for regional programme flagship initiatives and projects;
- Undertake statistical analysis based on Regional Programme primary- and open-source data;
- Manage and structure data for proper data management in close collaboration with relevant RSCA, regional programme, regional hubs and IT teams;
- Manage the development of an online information platform focused on data and other information.
- Work closely with the regional programme teams and project managers in the in the development and delivery of knowledge strategies and products;
- Participate in a global practice and knowledge network on coordination, sharing and learning best practices, keeping abreast of current debates and thinking; exchange experience; seek and provide support on various regional programme aspects;
- Review, analyze and provide quality assurance of documents for the Regional Programme Coordinator;
- Perform research on topics as assigned, analyze information and synthesize into a clear summary to facilitate decision-making by the Regional Programme Coordinator;
- Coordinate substantive preparations of meeting materials, including agenda, accompaniment, and supporting materials for engagements of the Regional Programme, as well as management of the RSCA.
5.Provide support to Regional Programme reporting requirements and initiatives
- As needed, support the coordination and reparation of relevant corporate reporting and narratives;
- Provide ad-hoc support to various regional programme emerging initiatives, liaising with relevant teams;
- As needed, support the commissioning of relevant services and contracts;
- Perform other duties related to the function as required.
The Reporting Officer will carry out relevant duties under the guidance and direct supervision of the Regional Programme Coordinator.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work.
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking.
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning.
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process.
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously.
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build and/or /maintain coalitions/partnership.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making.
- Advocacy strategy and implementation: Ability to create and implement advocacy strategies which lead to impactful change.
Business Management : Communication
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels.
- Knowledge Facilitation: Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally.
- Relationship management: Ability to engage with a wide range of public and private partners, build, sustain and/or strengthen working relations, trust and mutual understanding.
- Negotiation and Influence: Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiates mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and creates in situations.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in international development, social sciences, or other related area is required.
- A minimum of 2 years of professional working experience in research, reporting, knowledge management and/or communications is required.
- Proven experience in collecting, analyzing, synthesizing and interpreting data for the production of high-quality reports is required;
- Experience in writing briefing notes and speeches for senior management is required;
- Experience in the organization and coordination of high-level events is required;
- Proficiency and proven experience in the use of Microsoft Office suite (e.g. Word, Excel, Power Point) is required.
Desired additional skills:
- Previous experience working with UNDP is a significant asset;
- Previous working experience in least developed, developing and crisis countries is an advantage;
- Proven experience in the development infographics, online surveys, presentations, would be an asset.
- Proven experience in managing Microsoft SharePoint web-based platforms is an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
- ACCA, CIPS, CISCO, etc.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.