World Health Organization
World Health Organization is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Data Manager based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Organization: WHO – World Health Organization
- Location: Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
- Grade: NO-C, National Professional Officer – Locally recruited position – Mid level
- Occupational Groups:
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2022-02-21
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The objective of the post is to operate WHO data management and M&E activities and provide evidence driven information for actions aimed at supporting the Country to:
Ensure availability of quality, timely, and complete information that guides the health emergency information and Risk Assessment
Monitor achievement of recommended performance indicators for EWARS and IDSR highlighted in the EWARS Guidelines and Ethiopia’s Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) strategy.
Provide evidences through the timely utilization of different data available and guide the program.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
1.Manage the incident databases (cases and contacts) including content, structure, file location, backup system.
2.Collect, collate, manage and analyse data from all partners; aggregate the relevant health related information such as mortality and morbidity, location of hospitals, primary health care units, other health care facilities, etc. and transform it into narrative text, maps and graphics to enable strategic planning and decision-making.
3.Aggregate and maintain information from technical teams, field offices and partners including contact lists, event specific information (what, where, who, how many, how quickly, current status), health indicator data, health situation data, health response data, etc.
4.Develop tools to harmonize data collection and processes across WCO and field offices to facilitate consolidation of information. Respond to specific information requests from the technical teams and partners; ensure dissemination of information and knowledge sharing with all partners.
5.Provide country-specific and aggregate intercountry information to the relevant WCO websites, manage email boxes and share points, as required.
6.Provide technical expertise during interagency initiatives, related to information and data management, seeking to improve information sharing between institutions, to strengthen access to information from other organizations and clusters, and to contribute to intersectoral dashboards and reports.
7.Verify data quality (completeness, timeliness), identify gaps in health information management, recommend corrective actions and prepare relevant documents to include in project proposals, internal and external situation reports (SitReps), bulletins, health risk assessments, health needs overviews (HNO), and strategic response plans (SRP), etc.
8.Participate in any other activity that may be required in connection with the incident data management and perform any other incident-specific related duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
Essential: First university degree in information or data management, computer sciences, statistics, applied math or public health, complemented by training in databases development and/or management from an accredited/recognized institute.
Desirable: Post graduate degree in public health, qualitative surveillance or statistics.
Essential: At least five years’ relevant experience in data and/or information management, including experience in emergency operations or humanitarian context.
Desirable: Prior emergency disaster and health outbreak response or humanitarian working experience at field level, with WHO/UN agencies, health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organizations or with an international nongovernmental organization.
•Demonstrated knowledge of information management and monitoring systems as related to emergency response and relief operations.
•Proven skills in the field of statistical data collection, assessment, analysis and monitoring in a public health context.
•Advance ability to design, manage, analyse and coordinate complex information system projects, computer-based applications and databases, web-based tools
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Desirable: Knowledge of the local language in the duty station and other UN Languages would be an advantage.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at USD 28,573 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- Duty station Addis Ababa
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO’s workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.
Data manager job